Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cake Balls

I'm not a dessert kinda gal... partially because I can't bake and partially because I just don't have a sweet tooth. I'm made of more spice than sugar, I suppose. Anyway, I've been a total slacker lately at contributing to office birthday celebrations despite always eating my fair share. I figure it's time to give back. Office birthdays= dips or baked goods and I made dip two days ago ( I'm really making up here.) So, I venture into the world of baking, again.

I've been seeing cake balls popping up everywhere lately and I decided to try it out.

These were a lot more time consuming and messy than I planned. I still need to go scrub my kitchen. I think I've made up the effort now in office giving for the next two months. Plus, I lovingly fondled every ball, so that's gotta count for something.



I followed the recipe instructions found at The Pioneer Woman. And, even though they took longer than I planned, cake balls turned out to really be fool proof.

Here's what you do:

1 box of cake mix ( I used Devils Food) - Bake according to directions in a 9 x 13 pan

1 jar frosting ( I used cream cheese flavor)

Almond Bark ( I got two packages...one chocolate, one vanilla)

1. Once your cake is made, let it cool and then crumble it all up in a big bowl.
2. Mix in most of the jar of frosting until it makes a nice mush.
3. Shape into small balls. Pop in the fridge until cool and firm or in the freezer to save time.
4. Melt Almond Bark according to instructions.
5. Drop the balls one at a time into the Almond bark, spooning the meltyness over the ball. Scoop up in a spoon, tap on side of bowl to let the coating smooth out, and transfer to a wax sheet.
6. Decorate at will.
7. Refrigerate to help them set up before serving.
I used opposite colored Almond Bark to do some squiggles.

FACT: Not as easy as I thought that would be either. DECORATE FAIL! :



Anyway, I hope they're okay. I still haven't had one but I had to beat Aubrey to keep him from stealing them. He still managed to get five. So, I'm guessing they're good.

No comments: