Monday, April 6, 2009

Chicken and Stuffing for Jen


Jennifer, my Colombian sister and bff from Cali, is a fairly high maintenance woman. She will settle for no less than the best. She’s a name brand junkie and she’ll probably laugh that I said “name brand” instead of “label.” She also gives me instant advice on anything I need to buy, from face moisturizer to under eye concealer…way cool. I like to remember that it was yours truly who first introduced the girl to makeup when we were in middle school, but hanging on to that fact has only become more and more lame over the years. Where she got the looks, I got the cooks. Sadly, my diva’s idea of cooking is very similar if not identical to re-heating.

She emailed me last Friday with a craving for her all-time favorite meal that my mom used to make us when we were little…chicken and stuffing. Delicious and incredibly simple, I’d forgotten that little miss high-class knows how to eat the good stuff. Chicken and stuffing is not company food. It’s not pretty. It’s practically all the same color. BUT, it’s “stick to your ribs” delicious and, if you swap out for low fat versions of all the ingredients, it won’t necessarily stick to your hips either!

So, it turns out, Jen is pretty easy to please. Of course, I’ve known that all along… 15 years of this and we’re still going strong.


For you, my love!

Chicken and Stuffing

2-4 chicken breasts ( basically, enough to fill a 9x 13 inch baking dish)
1 large can of cream of mushroom soup ( swap for 98% fat free for a good time.)
1 cup of sour cream ( or, light)
1 cup Stove top stuffing
1 cup hot water
Lawry’s season salt

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Place chicken in baking dish and season with Lawry’s season salt. Bake 15 minutes each side covered with foil.
3. Meanwhile, mix soup and sour cream together. Set aside.
4. Mix stuffing and cup of hot water together. Set aside.
5. Carefully remove chicken from oven and top with soup mixture. Smear it around so it blends with the chicken juices and everything is well covered in it.
6. Evenly sprinkle the stuffing on top of it all.
7. Cover with foil, bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until desired brownness of stuffing.

8. Devour with a side of mashed potatoes. Oh, and if you’re wondering if your eyes can still see color, garnish with parsley. Ta Da!

2 comments:

Jen said...

OK, seriously cruel.. yet kinda cool. I do feel special!

Jill of All Trades said...

Yummy, will have to try.