Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strawberry-Citrus Salad

After the vacation of meat, I was ready to return to something light. If you, too, have gone overboard on steak intake, then this dish is for you. It's for you even if you didn't consume about 5 cows last week. I saw it first in my Bon Appetit last month but didn't realize how simple it was to make until I saw it in The Bitten Word. If you want to be a purist, follow the recipe. But, it's as simple as combining the four ingredients to suit your tastes which is what I did... strawberries I had on hand, an orange, a heaping spoon of brown sugar, and about 5 mint leaves chiffonade ( that means stacked, rolled up together, and sliced thinly.) It's super refreshing and yet has depth from the brown sugar. Give it a try for any summer picnics you have coming up ( um, July 4th anyone?)


Strawberry-Citrus Salad

Bon Appetit May 2009 Serves 4

Ingredients

3 cups sliced hulled strawberries (about one 22-ounce basket)
3 large navel oranges, peeled, thickly sliced crosswise, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves

1.Toss all ingredients in large bowl. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Strangely enough, I came over here to check out your site after reading your "rebuttal" on the About page at Food Bloggers Unite! Well said. Thank you for putting it out there.

While I'm here, I want to invite you over to my new site: TasteStopping. It's a site where those whose food photos have been rejected by TasteSpotting, FoodGawker or PhotoGrazing can submit and have those photos published. I like to think of it as "group therapy." :) Let me know what you think. Better yet, send me some of your photos!

Best,
Casey

www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Tasha said...

My friend, the next big thing in food photography and food/travel blogging. I mean, duh, you guys.