Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer Vegetable Farfalle



I can't claim to go way back with this hippie of a meal. We're relatively new friends. To me, a meal wasn't a meal unless it included a nice helping of meat or, as some midwesterners like to call it, food. Fortunately, I decided to try this dish with absolutely NO MEAT last summer. Much to my surprise, I dug it. Really. Plus, there's something completely peaceful about preparing a meal of fresh veggies and herbs from your own garden. Mine are growing like freaks right now...


So, in addition to being super tasty, this dish helps make good use of the basil attempting to consume my pots and my fantasies. What could go wrong with basil on basil? It's not like I'm baking it. And, yes, I realize there's no basil in the pic... it was being shy today.

Summer Vegetable Farfalle
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman's "Farfalle with Zucchini Recipe"
Liberally serves 2 plus leftovers!
Ingredients

2 small to medium sized zucchini, diced
1 small pkg. grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium white onion, diced
3 cups Farfalle pasta
1/2 cup white cooking wine ( I used Chardonnay I had open)
1/3 cup half and half
A generous amount of chopped herbs including basil ( I used about 12 large sweet basil leaves, a large sprig of oregano, and about 15 leaves of another basil variety that I don't know the name of...)
3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup freshly grated parmesean cheese
Kosher salt and Fresh Ground Pepper

1. Get your pot of water on and cook the Farfalle according to directions until al dente.
2. Add 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil to a pan ( one that you can scrape to deglaze) and heat medium- high. Add zucchini and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove zucchini to a plate. Set aside. Add remaining oil and onions, scraping the browned bits from the zucchini. Saute over medium to medium-high until softened and nearly carmelized.
4. Lower heat to medium low and add halved grape tomatoes.
5. Add wine. Simmer until reduced by 1/3.
6. Add half and half. Bring to a simmer and reduced until thickened. If it gets too thick, add some of the starchy water from the pasta!
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper. It needs a bit of the stuff so don't be afraid.
8. Add drained pasta and herbs and cheese. Mix.
9. Serve immediately garnished with more herbs and more cheese, of course.


There you have it. All the chop chop, none of the butcher block. Enjoy.

1 comment:

test it comm said...

That is a nice summery looking pasta!