Monday, March 29, 2010

The Worst Mexican Ever Series: White Chicken Chili


It's time to be real... It's time for you to see what I make when the camera isn't snapping away...

It's time for you to see that my cats get on my countertops.


This is White Chicken Chili- pure canned goodness. I'm sorry I've been hiding it from you.



I like to make myself believe I'm too cool for canned goods but, I'm not. I don't make my own stock and I've never refried a bean. Someday I'll get there...maybe. Taco Bell makes some mean canned refried beans...

I've been eyeballing this white chicken chili recipe at Simply Recipes for some time but can't bring myself away from my new standby. Authentic? Probably not. Amazing? Totally. Friends from work serve this at parties and potlucks and I finally got the recipe. I almost always have ingredients on hand and it makes up in ten minutes.



Since I'm going full disclosure here, you'd better look at this:



You try to resist giving them a little canned chicken juice. Now you know.



One more thing... I have trouble following recipes exactly. You see that can of diced tomatoes up there? That was supposed to be a can of Rotel. I didn't catch this until I already added it so I diced up some leftover pickled jalepenos I had from making this and added crushed red pepper. It came out awesome prompting Aubrey to proclaim my "homemade version" to be the best ever.
Truth is good.





White Chicken Chili


1 can of Great Northern Beans
1 can of Rotel ( hot, mild, whatever. Or, diced tomatoes and add your own peppers.)
1 can cooked chicken breast
1 can corn
1 package white chicken chili mix
Optional Garnish-
Sliced Scallions
Sour Cream
Grated Cheese ( I use jack or colby jack)
Special Equipment: Can opener
1. Add all ingredients to a big pot. Bring to a low boil and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve on tortilla chips and garnish as desired.

No comments: