Monday, December 6, 2010

House Salad


Aubrey and I recently enjoyed a dinner at Caz's Chowhouse, a newish downtown eatery in the Brady district. In addition to having a cool and cozy atmosphere (fireplace, brick walls, exposed bulbs, dark wood, vintage decor... right up my alley) they also have inspired my new favorite salad. Essentially, it's their house salad which features sliced granny smith apples, mixed greens, feta cheese, and sugared walnuts with their lemon herb vinaigrette. I dug it but felt it needed something a little sweet to round out all the tartness that the sugared walnuts just couldn't handle. I had some dried apricots and voila! Also, I had to whip up a lemon herb vinaigrette which is quite different from theirs but still tasty. Give it a go. Also, go to Caz's and order the Chicken and Biscuit. I give you permission to eat it all in one sitting.


Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette ( best applied to our House Salad - quantities are approximate)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
2 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. salt ( depending on how you like it)
1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp. Herbs de Provence ( or, seriously, whatever herbs you feel like adding. Tarragon would be good... or basil!)
1/2 tsp. white sugar

Optional- I read a recipe that was basically this but added a dollop of dijon mustard without the sugar. I think I'll try this next time.

Mix together and drizzle on salad. Eat it.

No comments: